Prepare For The Storms: Roofing Checklist For Commercial Property Managers
Your commercial property roof can easily slip your mind since it is out of sight. However, it is crucial that you create a checklist for your building maintenance crew to ensure that your roof is in good shape. This is particularly true after a heavy winter when damage could have occurred. This damage needs to be repaired prior to the spring storms that could bring in lots of rain, thunder and lightning, which could cause even more damage. Therefore, your roof needs to be in the best possible shape before the storms come in. Here is a checklist for your maintenance crew and some advice on when to call the professionals.
What Your Maintenance Crew Needs to Check
Any commercial roof needs to be inspected and maintained on a regular basis by a professional roofer. However, a competent maintenance crew of your building is more than capable of spotting and repairing simple issues that could cause major damage, if left untreated. Here are a few things that you should have your maintenance crew do:
- Check the exits of all downspouts to ensure that there is no blockage from debris or that it hasn't been crushed, which can cause a restriction of water drainage.
- Inspect header boxes and gutters for any build-up of debris and remove anything that may restrict water flow.
- Inspect weep holes around skylights and windows and clear any built up debris.
- Check all PV penetrations and rooftop units to ensure that they are watertight and secure.
- Make sure to remove all leaves, twigs and other debris from the entire roof.
- Make note of any areas of the roof where water is starting to puddle or the roof appears to be sunken in.
- Inspect the roof for any signs of wrinkled, loose or weathered membrane, loose seams and missing ballast.
- Check the entire facility property for any trees that hover over the building with dead limbs and remove them personally, or have a professional remove them.
When to Call in the Professionals
While your building maintenance crew can perform simple roofing tasks, as long as they are trained in proper roofing practices, it is important that a professional roofing company is called in when the crew discovers any loose flashing, penetrations, ponding of water or any other serious roof damage. Leaks should also be assessed by a professional to avoid significant damage to the inside of the facility as well as the roof itself.
Talk to experts like B & J Roofing for more information.